To honor Marvin Kent, the village was renamed Kent in 1864, although this change was not official until the village was incorporated on May 6, 1867. Archived from on February 16, 2009. A slightly higher than average number of commuters in 44240 can expect to fall in that range. During this period, from 1835 to 1839, noted American abolitionist moved to the village, operating a tannery along the Cuyahoga River with Zenas Kent. The city for 44240 is usually the name of the main post office. The lists the city's elevation at 1,056 feet 322 m above sea level at a point near Kent's geographic center.
Kent State operates Centennial Research Park, along in Kent's with Franklin Township, which houses two start-up companies in the industry. There is also the just west of downtown that includes 20 private homes of architectural and historical significance from the post-Civil War and early 20th century periods. This book gives 1790 as the date, but several other sources give 1780 as the date. The Kent district was created around 1860 and later merged with the Franklin Township and Brady Lake school districts in 1959. The bill giving Kent State university status was signed into law by Ohio governor and Kent native , son of tree surgeon John Davey. Settlers were attracted to the area due to its location along the Cuyahoga River as a place for water-powered mills.
The number of young adults is extremely large while the number of people in their late 20s to early 40s is large. In October, Kent hosts the homecoming festivities for Kent State University, including a parade down East Main Street as well as other events and activities both on campus and around the city. Ohio Department of Natural Resources. According to the , as of 2010 the city has a total area of 9. Kent is also home to the corporate headquarters of the , which serves as the city's largest private employer.
Kent is also part of a of in that was first organized in Kent and includes most of southern Portage County. These protests and demonstrations, which included rioting in downtown Kent on May 2, culminated in the on May 4, 1970, where four students were killed and nine were wounded by the. President 's first nomination for public office in 1859. Kent has nearly 20 parks and preserves and hosts a number of annual festivals including ones related to , folk music, and the U. Archived from on March 14, 2012. The main portion of the trail follows the Cuyahoga River in Kent with most of the trail paved with asphalt.
Between the 2000 and 2010 censuses, the city saw slight increases in the number of minority residents. Archived from on December 23, 2012. The is a historical district along the Cuyahoga River adjacent to downtown that includes an area and structures that were important in Kent's early history. During warm-weather months, water is pumped over the dam. From 1975 to 1981 the held their in Kent at Kent State University. The museum focuses on the history of fashion design and decorative arts in the United States and around the world from the 18th century to the present. Kent State Baseball 2010 Media Guide.
Additional facilities include a research park and golf course just east of the city limits in Franklin Township and the , just west of Kent in. Kent Patch, a local division of , mainly serves as an online bulletin board for local events. Kent State University Alumni Association. Other aspects of the redevelopment, which include a 360-space parking deck and bus transfer station, a hotel and conference center, and three separate mixed-use buildings, began to take shape in 2010 following the demolition of several buildings in a four block area. Local phone utilities are provided through Ohio through the , electricity is supplied and lines are maintained by in the former coverage area of Ohio Edison, and natural gas is supplied and lines are maintained by East Ohio Energy. Factories and mills were either planned or constructed along the Cuyahoga River, some of which either were never built or ultimately failed, due mostly to effects of the.
Other political figures to come from Kent include Wisconsin governor , former U. The twenty cities were: Ashtabula, Canton, Chagrin Falls, Columbiana, East Liverpool, Geneva, Hubbard, Hudson, Kent, Lorain, Massillon, Medina, Poland, Ravenna, Salem, Seville, Urichsville, Wadsworth, Warren, and Youngstown. Studios of For radio, Kent is part of the , though it is within range of major stations in the as well as many in the and markets. Includes date from United States, Ohio, and Kent. A five-story mixed-use building called The Landmark was completed in 2014 and construction started in November 2015 on an additional five-story mixed-use building featuring , scheduled to be completed in 2016. The festival includes crafts, booths, entertainment, train rides, 5K and 10K races, and fireworks, drawing approximately 25,000 people each year. Patrick School, which serves around 300 students in grades K—8 from Kent and several surrounding communities.
The city charter, adopted in 1963, is reviewed by a charter commission every 10 years who then make recommendations for changes, the last review being in 2015. Three stations, two and one , are licensed to Kent. The rate differs slightly from the national average of 49. Kent's original recycling program was developed in 1970 by the Kent Environmental Council and was Ohio's first comprehensive and self-supporting program. In 2003, the 1836 arch dam was bypassed to meet water quality standards set by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency. Cultural exchanges have included a performance of a choir from Kent's Theodore Roosevelt High School in Dudince in 2004 and tour groups from Kent visiting in 2006 and 2008.
In addition to the Record-Courier, the Kent offices house the various departments of Record Publishing and its other weekly newspapers that serve several Summit and Portage County communities. The city council hires a who oversees the day-to-day operations in the various city departments and enforces policies set by council. During the winter months, snowfall is common and can occur in large quantities with considerable. There were 11,174 housing units at an average density of 1,218. Included in the redevelopment was the purchase and renovation of the old , which first opened in 1920. Other nearby communities include and to the east and and to the north.
The site was named a in December 2016. Adjacent on the south is the John Brown Tannery Park, on the site of the former tannery helped fund with Zenas Kent in the 1830s, while Brady's Leap park, adjacent to the north, is at the location of the famed leap over the Cuyahoga River by Captain circa 1780. The Kent City School District operates an indoor pool at Theodore Roosevelt High School that is available for public recreational and instructional use outside of its use by the school for athletics and physical education. Representative , and noted abolitionist , who lived in what was then Franklin Mills from 1835—1839. The Public Service Department oversees a variety of construction and maintenance works as well as the city's water treatment and water reclamation systems while the Public Safety Department includes both the police and fire departments. A History of the Kent Free Library, Kent, Ohio 1958—1992.